Windows SBS Server 2003 - Corrupt or Missing \Windows\System32\Config\System
I am dealing w/ a SBS Server that has either taken a power hit or been updatedand the System file has been corrupted. I receive the message that "\Windows\System32\Config\System is missing or corrupt. I need to repair it but have been unable to boot into repair, using the SBS Server CD 1,due to an unrecognizedboot drive... probably due tothe drive array being a Raid 1 Array. Theserver hasan Intel S3000AH motherboard and the Raid1is/was created w/ the integrated Raid onthe motherboardusing the LSIbios setup from what I can tell.The arraygoes onlineduring bios load and I have done a consistency check using the bios option. All seems ok w/ the Array and the physical drives... outside of this corruption.Do I need to create a special boot CD w/ theLSI array drivers? so I can get into the repair function/DOS Prompt. If so, how? Keep in mind I only have access atm toXP workstations. If not, is there another solution I'm missing here without reloading the SBS software.Also,if Ido a repair with the necessary copy commands, ie."copy C:\windows\repair\system"afterrenaming the config folder and creating anew one, and I get the server to boot what will I need to rebuild/ re-configureon the server? All remote access settings/users? and/or?Anyhelp would be appreciated... Thanks
November 13th, 2009 9:13pm

When you boot from the 2003 installation media to start the recovery console and if your drive controller is not natively supported then you'll want to *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2003 driver for yourraid controller in drive "A")The system hive contains mostly driver and service info so you'll need to reinstate any changes along this line since the last registry backup.Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 14th, 2009 7:28am

Thanks Dave. Is there a way to do this from a CD/CD drive? the server currently does nothave an "A" drive (floppy).
November 16th, 2009 9:54pm

Yes, absolutely. Just boot from the 2003 installation media. The controller driver, however, must be supplied from floppy disk only. Did you try it? Controller may be natively support with driver set on installation disk.Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
November 16th, 2009 10:09pm

I did try just the 2003 Server CD and had no luck... I get to the point to selectrepair or install and have tried both but get themessage that it'san unrecognizedboot drive.I'll install a floppy drive and try it that way... good lord I trashedall my floppy disks a fewyears back lolI'll post the end result... thanks
November 17th, 2009 7:51am

Yes, afraid you're going to need a temp floppy drive connected to load the controller driver.Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
November 18th, 2009 5:12am

OK, RAID drivers work from the floppy and I see the choice to pick which drive but the lastadmin/server builderput a password on it... is there a way to still get into the drive w/o the pass? can I reset it? or is this a lost cause? no fun taking over for someone who left nopaper trail or info. Can't get a hold of the person either...MIAor is there a default pass? tried "password", "admin", "administrator", and just nothing of course.
November 18th, 2009 9:23pm

You can reset it.http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
November 19th, 2009 6:36am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics